Here's a series of photographs I just found in storage. These were given to me by Mr. Miyazaki, a kind man who I used to volunteer for every other week through a Japanese American Social Services group. I would cook Sukiyaki and he would share his stories of his youth. I remember those days fondly but its now more than 10 years since we lost touch.

I wish I remembered the circumstances of each of these shots but I'd be making wild guesses to where they are, what year they were taken and who he's with. I especially love the first shot of him under the elevated tracks. It's full of energy and so evocative of that moment. I'm curious if the ball game was before or after the war. It's great to see a slice of Japanese American life rarely seen from this time .

Untitled-3-3.jpg

Untitled-3-4.jpg

Untitled-3-5.jpg

Untitled-3-6.jpg

2 comments:

Betty said...

Haj, These are Fantastic photos. I love people shots of different times. (That and old music). Tell me more about Mr. Miyazaki, He was a photographer (has to be) right?
Beatriz

Haj said...

No, he wasn't a photographer but the photos of him are pretty great, right? Thanks for checking them out!

Post a Comment

top